Sunday, March 16, 2008

Nick's first concert

Last night (March 15), my son Nick played his first public gig. He was the opening act in a show at the Neutral Zone's "Side B" venue. If you're not familiar with the Neutral Zone, it is a fantastic resource for teens in Ann Arbor. Quoting from their web site, "The Neutral Zone is a diverse, youth-driven teen center dedicated to promoting personal growth through artistic expression, community leadership and the exchange of ideas."

I'm not exactly sure what to call his music. It's definitely electronic, and mostly danceable with a heavy beat. On his computer, he has pre-created instruments and patterns for them to play. He can activate instruments using the computer keyboard, and can control volume and tone (and perhaps other parameters) using the knobs on his control box. Thus, it is very much a live performance, with him acting, in effect, as composer and conductor of a multi-instrument electronic orchestra.

I took advantage of the opportunity to photograph him and the surroundings. From approximately 100 shots, I selected about a dozen to share. You can watch the slide show, below, or you can click through to the set on Flickr if you want to see them larger.


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.


Because I knew that the color of the lighting would be odd, and that the venue is fairly dark, I shot in "raw" mode. That way I had the greatest flexibility in adjusting color balance and a few extra bits to pump up the exposure if I needed it. I used my f/1.8 50mm lens exclusively because of the low lighting conditions.

I "processed" the pictures using a trial copy of Apple's Aperture program. I have to say, it's pretty slick. It let me work directly with the RAW files, exporting JPEG for Flickr. I'm sure it's got a lot of power that I haven't even touched yet, so more experimentation is in order.

1 comment:

pattimst3k said...

Awwww, what a good dad :)