Friday, November 2, 2007

Local meal #2

On Thursday, I decided to make dinner a local food meal. I had already purchased local (Michigan) gold nugget squash and apples (yes, there's a theme here -- those are items that are in season locally), and I still had some lettuce from the church garden. I cut the squash and some apples in half, put butter, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in the cavities of the squash halves, and put them into the oven to bake. But, I still needed something else to make it a satisfying meal.

Aha! Cheese! The Zingerman's Creamery makes cheese from local goat and cow milk. I braved the traffic (heavier than I expected) to the Creamery and got a nice aged round of goat cheese. They also had Pawpaw gelato, made with Michigan grown Pawpaws. The milk in the gelato is also local, although the sugar, vanilla, etc. are not. I deemed it "mostly local" and bought a small container for dessert.

Once back home, I cut the cheese round in half crosswise and put a disk of cheese into each squash to bake and soften. A few minutes longer, and dinner was ready. Yum.

I'm still trying to decide what to do about including bread products. There is wheat grown in Michigan (30,780,000 bushels in 2002) but I don't know where to find any. Adding bread to the menu certainly simplifies the planning process, but is it sufficient for it to be baked locally? Or does it need to be made from locally grown wheat, too? What do you think?

No comments: